The Norman Manley International Airport is being transformed into a spacious and modern facility with services and facilities to meet the needs and expectations of today's travellers, as well as our Airport partners and other users.
Phase 1A of our three-phase Airport Expansion and Development Programme is substantially completed. This programme is based on the Airport Master Plan, which details the operational and commercial functionalities through the 20-year planning horizon from 2004 to 2023 in order to achieve and maintain the committed level of services. The programme of expansion currently in progress includes the Airport Terminal and other landside facilities. This follows on a recently completed major development of the Airport’s airside facilities (runway, taxiways and aprons); currently regarded as the “Best in the Caribbean”.
The new (physical) layout of the Airport incorporates cutting-edge engineering and architectural designs, increased electrical standby capabilities which will enable the delivery of a vastly improved quality of service to passengers and other Airport users as well as ensure continued compliance with local and international standards for safety and aviation security.
The Interim Development Works, which preceded the construction of the new Departures Building, commenced in 2004. The award of the contract for the major Phase 1A works was effected in 2006 March and construction of the new building started in mid 2006. Phase 1A was substantially completed and commissioned into service in June 2008
Phase 1A Deliverables:
- New Departures Concourse at the eastern end of the present Terminal has been integrated with the existing Ticketing Concourse which itself has undergone major rehabilitation.
This new three-level facility of approximately 10,000 sq. m (107,640 sq. ft.) of operational space comprises:
- Departure Check-in Hall on the ground floor with retail and food facilities to accommodate travellers and well-wishers
- Airline Check-in Positions (66) with Common User Passenger Processing System (CUPPS) and Self-Serve check-in Kiosks;
- Expanded Outbound Immigration & Security screening stations
- New Departure Lounge on the upper floor with expanded retail and food facilities, offering a wide variety of traditional and exciting new service concepts:
- Two-level Passenger Pier – enabling the separation of arriving and departing passengers, as required by international security protocols.
- Nine (9) Passenger Boarding bridges at the new Passenger Pier, for added user benefit and comfort.
- Upgraded Roadway system and expanded Car Park.
- Major rehabilitation and upgrading of the Terminal Arrivals Area, including Immigration Hall, Customs Hall and reception area for Meeters & Greeters.
- A new Ground Transportation Hall
- Replacement and upgrading of the Primary Electrical Infrastructure and the development of a state of the art Energy Centre.
- Replacement and upgrading of Airport Systems viz. public address, CCTV, access control, flight information & baggage information display screens, security control and other IT systems.
- Cargo Warehouse Complex development with the first phase -
NMIA Cargo and Logistics Centre, opened for business
The further works presently in progress in the arrivals concourse are:
ü Expansion of the Immigration Hall and supporting facilities
ü Construction of additional retail areas to enhance the arrivals forecourt
ü Construction of covered walkways with seating, lighting, outdoor furnishing for additional comfort and to complement the recently completed "Sports Bar".
The objective is to further enhance the experience of all as they share their time with us at the new Norman Manley International Airport.
Works under this phase, which is scheduled for the period 2010 - 2012, will include:
- Further upgrading of existing buildings
- Rehabilitation and upgrade of support systems and infrastructure
- Relocation of the General Aviation Centre
- Relocation of Airport Protection Services and other support facilities.
- Airside works including the expansion of aircraft parking stands, modifications to the fuel hydrant system
- Extension of the cargo and maintenance taxiway.
The final phase of the project will involve additional improvement and maintenance works to the terminal, landside, airfield and support areas of the facility.
Tel: (876) 924-8452-6
Toll free from Jamaica 1-888-AIRPORT
Toll free from Jamaica 1-888-AIRPORT